Abraham BRASHER /
BRASIER was born on 22 Dec 1705.2
He was christened 30 Dec 1705 Reformed Dutch Church of New York1.
He married Elizabeth DALLY / DALLIE / DAILLIE / DALY
on the 10 Nov 1734 in the Reformed Dutch Church of New York1.
1756 - Elizabeth purchased a property with 3 other people from her brother John
/ Johannes and his wife Margaret [see
Elizabeth married for a 2nd time to John Bogert
on the 7th July 1781 in Trinity Church, New York.
[Note - not confirmed yet by my own research].
John Bogert died the
following year leaving a will.
Elizabeth died on the 29th Sep 1796 and is buried in the churchyard at
St. John's, Elizabeth, New Jersey, together with her daughter Susan(ah)
Stites (nee Brasier), wife of Dr. John Stites.
The stone has been incorrectly transcribed as Stiles (a common problem
with the Stites surname), however the information on the stone confirms
that it is Susan(ah) Stites (nee Brasher), wife of Dr. John Stites of
Elizabeth NJ & New York, and her mother Elizabeth Bogert (widow of John
Bogert, former wife of Abraham Brasher/Brasier, nee Dally).
['Inscriptions on Tombstones & Monuments in
the Burying Grounds of The First Presbyterian Church & St. John's Church
at Elizabeth, New Jersey, 1664-1892' by William Ogden Wheeler & Edmund
D. Halsey. 1892]
- Elizabeth, baptised 21 Sep 1735 in The Dutch Reformed Church of New
- Cornelia, baptised 3 Apr 1738 in the DRC of NY.
- Susanna, baptised 8 Jul 1739 in
the DRC of NY. Susannah married John STITES.
- Maria, baptised 24 Jan 1742 in the DRC of NY.
- Abraham, baptised 19 Feb 1744 in the DRC of NY.
- Philippus, baptised 15 Jan 1746 in the DRC of NY.
1. Register transcripts of the Reformed Dutch Church of New York.
2. Brasher genealogy from the Colgate Family Papers -
Yale University Library Manuscripts and Archives - MS#144
These papers are hand written notes apparently made at the
time or transcribed from a bible or other writings.
They seem to be of the time as the entries change handwriting
as children are added.